Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Brief Comparison

Words from one of my most recent patients:
"I am a ninja jedi ... George Jetson invented electricity ... I can count colors on my fingers"


This week, I've been thinking a lot about how this degree, the BSN, is different from my previously earned degree, the B.S. (letters which comprise my favorite double entendre).


  1. My test grades are significantly better.  That's always a plus.  I think this is because of the style, modeled after the NCLEX.  It's much easier for me to choose the "best possible answer" or "top nursing priority" than it is for me to remember the mechanism of an organic chemical reaction.   
  2. I really like my schedule.  I have lecture on Mondays and Fridays, clinical on Tuesdays,  and labs on Wednesdays and Thursdays.  Sure, most people don't like to sit in one classroom for six hours, but I'd personally rather just get it out of the way for the rest of the week.  
  3. The nursing program is significantly less cut-throat than the biology program is.  I have made more friends in four weeks of nursing than I did in four years of biology. 
So far, so good!

The only downside I've found up to this point, is that I am not used to having all of these group projects. This would be fine in a group of four or five.  But, these projects are in groups of ten (my clinical group).  It's really hard to get everyone's input, and I am a bit of a control freak.  But, what can I say? When it's for a grade, someone has to be the one to keep the assignment organized and the group on track!  
I also need to keep in mind that since I have already taken two years of upper level classes, my pace is a little fast with some of the assignments.  Note to self*:  the people in your clinical are juniors in college.  Take a breath, and slow down.  

Overall, I am really enjoying the BSN program!  I am looking forward to the upcoming semesters, when the topics are more focused and the material is a little more challenging (I'm sure I'll want to kick myself later for wishing that upon myself...oh well!) 

S



0 comments: